In this podcast Mercedes M. Yardley talks about NaNoWriMo, the poetry of language, working in fifteen-minute increments, beautiful horror and much more.
About Mercedes M. Yardley
Mercedes M. Yardley is a dark fantasist who wears stilettos and poisonous flowers in her hair. She is the author of the short story collection Beautiful Sorrows, the ‘serial killers in love’ novella Apocalyptic Montessa and Nuclear Lulu: A Tale of Atomic Love, the Bone Angel trilogy, Pretty Little Dead Girls: A Novel of Murder and Whimsy, and the Bram Stoker Award winner Little Dead Red.
- [03:30] Interview start/first experiences with story
- [08:00] Discovery writing and NaNoWriMo
- [13:30] NaNoWriMo tips
- [17:15] Working in fifteen-minute increments
- [29:15] Children and creativity
- [36:00] The internet and technology—a double-edged sword
- [44:15] Managing online presence
- [50:00] The poetry of language
- [55:55] Write how you want to write
- [01:02:20] Advice to eighteen-year-old self
- [01:08:45] Gutted anthology and the relationship between beauty and horror
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey