In this podcast Jessica McHugh talks about her new novel The Train Derails in Boston, writing fifty-seven stories in one year, writing by hand, her love for the horror genre and much more.
About Jessica McHugh
Jessica McHugh is a novelist, poet, and internationally produced playwright running amok in the fields of horror, sci-fi, young adult, and wherever else her peculiar mind leads. She’s had eighteen books published in eight years, including her bizarro romp, The Green Kangaroos, her Post Mortem Press bestseller, Rabbits in the Garden, and her edgy YA series, The Darla Decker Diaries. More information on her published and forthcoming fiction can be found at JessicaMcHughBooks.com.
- [03:30] Interview start/beginning of love for horror and writing
- [12:20] Parents blocking Nickelodeon and MTV
- [19:50] Prolific writing
- [24:35] Write drunk, edit sober
- [31:00] Planning and starting points for stories
- [33:30] Writing 57 stories in 2014
- [43:20] First draft in one month
- [46:40] Writing by hand in a notebook
- [55:55] The Train Derails in Boston
- [01:11:00] Leaps backwards and forwards in time in The Train Derails in Boston
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
ResourcesBuy Jessica McHugh fiction
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4663565/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey