In this podcast Michaelbrent Collings talks about outlining stories, story ideas, the Stoker Awards and much more.
About Michaelbrent Collings
Michaelbrent Collings is a novelist and screenwriter. He has written numerous bestsellers, including Apparition, The Haunted, The Loon, Rising Fears, and the bestselling YA fantasy series The Billy Saga, beginning with Billy: Messenger of Powers.
- [02:45] Interview start/determining whether a story idea is commercially viable
- [14:15] Plotting vs pansing and outlining
- [20:00] Stoker Awards 2015
- [23:35] Self-publishing stigma
- [25:45] Bob reveals his age and Michaelbrent practically falls off his chair
- [26:00] Distinction between vanity press and self-publishing
- [31:30] Paula Limbaugh, via Patreon, asks about prompt for writing a YA series
- [34:00] Dean Koontz
- [39:10] Advice to eighteen-year-old self
- [41:00] White whales and career aspirations
- [42:50] Good starting point to Michaelbrent’s fiction
- [43:45] Connect with Michaelbrent
- [44:50] Final thoughts
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
ResourcesBuy Michaelbrent Collings
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4606772/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey