In this podcast Stephen Graham Jones talks about his new novel, Mongrels, story revisions, endings, audio vs. print books and much more.
About Stephen Graham Jones
Stephen Graham Jones is the author of fifteen novels and six collections. He really likes werewolves and slashers. Favorite novels change daily, but Valis and Love Medicine and Lonesome Dove and It and The Things They Carriedare all usually up there somewhere. Stephen lives in Boulder, Colorado. It’s a big change from the West Texas he grew up in. He’s married with a couple kids, and probably one too many trucks.
- [01:00] Interview start/werewolves in Mongrels
- [02:40] Jake Marley, via Patreon, asks about revisions and writing session length
- [05:40] Writing a novel, the timeframe from start to finish
- [09:50] Conflict between what to write and what you should write commercially
- [14:00] Considering self-publishing
- [17:40] Jesse Lawrence, via Patreon, asks about Washed in Blood and the Del Rio sequel
- [23:45] Story endings
- [30:35] Audio vs print book
- [42:00] Advice to eighteen-year-old self
- [43:20] Things to look out for in contracts
- [46:30] Books on writing
- [52:00] Pickles
- [57:50] Connect with Stephen Graham Jones
- [59:40] Final thoughts
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4385022/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey