In this podcast Damien Angelica Walters talks about her new novel Paper Tigers, writing 100,000 words in 30 days, responding to criticism and much more.
About Damien Angelica Walters
Damien Angelica Walters is the author of Paper Tigers (Dark House Press, 2016) and Sing Me Your Scars (Apex Publications, 2015). Her short fiction has been reprinted in The Year’s Best Dark Fantasy & Horror and The Year’s Best Weird Fiction and published in in various anthologies and magazines, including Cassilda’s Song, Nightscript I, Cemetery Dance Online, Nightmare Magazine, Black Static, and Apex Magazine. ‘The Floating Girls: A Documentary’ was a finalist for a 2014 Bram Stoker Award; ‘Sing Me Your Scars’ the title story of her collection, is a 2015 nominee. She’s also a freelance editor and, until the magazine’s closing in 2013, she was an Associate Editor of the Hugo Award-winning Electric Velocipede. She lives in Maryland with her husband and two rescued pit bulls.
- [04:10] Interview start/ first experiences with story/ current novel
- [13:35] Learning when a story is good enough
- [19:15] Jake Marley, via Patreon, asks about short story length and aims
- [21:10] Impetus for writing Paper Tigers
- [28:55] Third person narrative
- [34:25] Working with Dark House Press and Richard Thomas on Paper Tigers/rejection and responding to criticism
- [48:30] Writing 100,000 words in 30 days
- [49:20] Thomas Joyce, via Patreon, asks about fitting in work, family and social life
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4200095/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey