In this podcast Rebecca Jones-Howe talks about Vile Men and Online vs. College Writing Communities.
About Rebecca Jones-Howe
Rebecca went to college with the intention of getting a degree in Journalism, however, she dropped out in her second year when her Creative Writing class became the only one she ever went to. Since then, she found a group of like-minded writers online at LitReactor, and she refined her craft through classes and small groups. In 2012, she was the winner of the first WAR writing competition. She made it to the final eight in the second WAR event, and eventually built up a selection of stories that would become her first collection of short fiction, Vile Men, released in the summer of 2015 from Dark House Press. Her short stories have been published in PANK, Pulp Modern, Punchnel’s, Pantheon, Out of the Gutter and Pulp Metal Magazine, as well as The New Black, and Exigencies anthologies.
- [02:50] Interview start/start as a writer
- [06:00] Literary concerns in the initial stages
- [08:00] Erotica
- [14:00] Vile Men
- [17:40] Negative backlash
- [18:45] Dropping out of University to pursue Creative Writing
- [23:05] Thomas Joyce, via Patreon, asks about LitReactor and writing communities
- [30:00] LitReactor Vs. University as a learning environment
- [32:15] Vulnerability
- [36:20] Reviews and criticism
- [40:20] Genesis of Vile Men
- [42:35] Promoting and marketing Vile Men
- [45:00] Vlogging
- [46:15] Jeff, via Patreon, asks about ‘The Paper Bag Princess’ and the popular children’s story of the same title
- [50:00] Story expectations and ‘Masturbating Megan’s Strip Mall Exhibition’
- [55:30] ‘Grin on the Rocks’/rape scenes within fiction
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4180042/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey