In this podcast John C. Foster talks about his journey from screenwriter to novelist, marketing and how to engage with others on social media.
About John C. Foster
John C. Foster was born in Sleepy Hollow, NY, and has been afraid of the dark for as long as he can remember. A writer of thrillers and dark fiction, Foster was raised in the wilds of southern New Hampshire (read: not wild) before hauling stakes for the ersatz glow of Los Angeles. He has since relocated to the relative sanity of New York City where he lives with his lady, Linda, and their dog Coraline. Foster is an enthusiastic amateur cook, partially to offset all the griping that results from pushing his increasingly decrepit body through the rigors of martial arts training.
Foster’s stories can be found in issue #8 of Shock Totem and Dark Visions – Volume 2 from Grey Matter Press, as well as anthologies such as the Big Book of New Short Horror, Under the Stairs, Book of Horror 2, Dead Worlds 7: Undead Stories and Book of the Dead 6: Forever Dead, among others. His first novel, Dead Men, was released in July of this year by Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing.
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
- [01:45] Interview start/beta readers
- [07:45] Showing your work to a wide variety of beta readers from different backgrounds
- [09:55] Shift from screenwriter to novelist
- [13:21] Research
- [20:27] Marketing
- [30:59] Professionalism and engagement on Twitter and other social media platforms
- [45:35] Writing for multiple publishers
- [01:13:50] Connect with John C. Foster
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/3806303/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey