In this podcast J David Osborne talks about kickstarting Broken River Books, a day in the life of a publisher, outsourcing, redefining genre and much more. This is part one of a two-part interview. The second part will air next week on Tuesday 20 January 2015.
About J David Osborne
J David Osborne runs the small press Broken River Books, which has released titles from such acclaimed authors as Stephen Graham Jones, Jedidiah Ayres, William Boyle, and Cody Goodfellow. His first novel, By the Time We Leave Here, We’ll Be Friends, was the winner of the 2010 Wonderland Award for Best Novel. He lives in Portland, Oregon, with his wife and dog.
- [00:10] Introduction to the Podcast format for 2015.
- [04:40] J David Osborne Interview
- [05:05] About J David Osborne
- [06:17] Kickstarting Broken River Books
- [11:40] Kindle Unlimited
- [18:05] Looking at your target reader
- [24:50] Launching Broken River Books with Fifteen Titles
- [26:55] Must Do and Must Not Do Marketing Lessons
- [33:50] What to outsource and what not to outsource/doing everything
- [38:00] Printing and distribution
- [47:50] Why writers are attracted to independent presses when the barriers to self-publishing are so low?
- [52:56] Identify the authors to launch Broken River Books
- [59:45] Branching out and redefining definitions and labels within genre
Broken River Books
J David Osborne fiction (UK)
J David Osborne fiction (US)
Repo Shark by Cody Goodfellow
Silent Weapons For Quiet Wars by Cody Goodfellow
The Least of My Scars by Stephen Graham Jones
Peckerwood by Jedidiah Ayres
The Last Projector by David James Keaton
Black Cloud by Juliet Escoria
The Troop by Nick Cutter
The Last Horror Novel in the History of the World Brian Allen Carr
Meet the mysterious men behind Oklahoma’s monument to Azathoth
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
Sponsors & Affiliates
The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
Head on over to the This Is Horror Shop to see the books we have available.
Our forthcoming title The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud is currently available to reserve with a plethora of pre-order bonuses!
When you make a purchase through our affiliate links Amazon kick-back some of the proceeds to This Is Horror which enables us to pay for the website, podcast hosting and associated costs.
[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/3292999/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey