“With unforgettable characters facing the most horrifying circumstances, Langan consistently delivers when it comes to nightmarish fiction.”
A couple find a cooler on the side of the road, and discover the unearthly contents inside. At a mansion that overlooks the Hudson River, a writer investigates the weird paper balloons that float around the grounds. A young attorney learns of the terrible secret that destroyed her parents’ marriage. Two disgraced soldiers seek revenge against the one who taught them how to torture. A walking path shows the past, present, and the horrifying future of a young couple. A cross-country drive turns into a night time encounter with a figure who may be the Devil. The title story is a short novel that deals with a race against time as a woman chases a monster.
Why we’re excited about this book:
From the mind that gave us the Bram Stoker Award and This Is Horror Awards winning novel The Fisherman, John Langan presents his third collection of short stories. With unforgettable characters facing the most horrifying circumstances, Langan consistently delivers when it comes to nightmarish fiction. Langan is also the co-editor of Creatures with Paul Tremblay, and two previous collections, The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies and Mr. Gaunt and Other Uneasy Encounters, as well as the novel House of Windows. Publishers Weekly said in their Starred Review: “This book is a treasure trove for lovers of literary horror fiction.” Sefira & Other Betrayals by John Langan releases from Hippocampus Press 20 April 2019 and is available for pre-order now.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey