A lawyer and businessman are among the visitors to Westworld, a futuristic theme park where the gunhands and dance hall girls are all robots programmed to serve the guests’ violent and lustful fantasies—until something goes wrong with their circuitry. No longer the guests’ obliging victim, a black-clad humanoid gunslinger turns on the two heroes and the ultimate amusement turns deadly serious as the men are pursued to a deadly climax by an implacable, unstoppable foe.
Why we’re looking forward to this: Why we’re looking forward to this: The original Westworld film starring Yul Brynner and James Brolin was a great science fiction / horror movie based on the book by the late Michael Crichton. This new take on the story, given the full series treatment by HBO looks to be somewhat darker in tone and even more up the This Is Horror street than its predecessor.
Produced by JJ Abrams and Christopher Nolan, who know a thing or two about great storytelling, Westworld features a raft of top drawer actors including Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, James Marsden, Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton and will hopefully be every bit as engaging and sinister as the trailer suggests as its initial ten episodes unfold.
Westworld will be open for business on HBO in October.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey