A girl, Yūri Kurahashi, after watching a cursed videotape together with her friend in a haunted house, becomes trapped in a conflict between the two murderous ghosts: Sadako Yamamura and Kayako Saeki.
Why we’re looking forward to this: What’s better than a new film featuring your favourite monster or psychopath, or indeed a new film featuring two of them going toe to toe? In the great tradition of versus movies—think Dracula vs. Frankenstein, Freddy vs. Jason—we’re about to have a showdown between The Ring’s Sadako and The Grudge’s Kayako which should send chills down your spine and have you glancing nervously at your television on a regular basis and avoiding slender girls with long dark hair.
Incredibly this ghostly face off began life as an April Fool’s joke last year before morphing into an actual production, and will be the twelfth film in both franchises. Exactly how these two angry women will end up battling each other remains to be seen, but with both series having a solid, if similar, mythology we’re looking forward to being scared witless by this latest J-horror offering.
Sadako vs. Kayako is released in Japan on 18 June and will no doubt reach the rest of the world shortly thereafter.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey