For more articles like this, please follow @thisishorror on Twitter.
He was Sherlock Holmes, Doctor Who, Dr Frankenstein and Van Helsing, and Peter Cushing would have been on the verge of his 100th birthday. This article from Keith B Walters explores the legendary actor, and some forthcoming tributary releases in the shape of Stephen Volk’s Whitstable, and David Miller’s Peter Cushing: A Life in Film.
We all know what happens when you play Black Sabbath backwards. Sod all. Yet in horror films, heavy metal music might as well be the tortured groans of Legion. This article over at Bubblews explores the use of heavy music in horror films, and also takes a look at why bands utilise gory, and often blasphemous, imagery on album covers.
Birds do it; bees do it. Even Chucky and Tiffaneeeeeee do it. This article from FearNET looks at five of the best (by which I mean most grotesque and downright disgraceful) scenes of creature coitus.
This comprehensive retrospective over at Den of Geek offers an insight into one of the innovators of exploitation movies, William Lustig. He directed such gems as Maniac (1980), Vigilante (1983) and the Bruce Campbell starrer, Maniac Cop (1988).
This article from The Economist takes a look at the history of vampires in film, from The Lost Boys to Twilight. With Neil Jordan’s forthcoming vamp flick, Byzantium, about to shake up the genre once again, the article explores where our favourite movie monsters can go from here.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey