Welcome to Must Read Horror, where we search the internet for the best horror articles of the week so you don’t have to. Without further ado:
- Writer Zachary Ashford writes for Gingernuts of Horror on the enduring bond between heavy metal and horror
- Dead Head Reviews features an article by writer Hailey Piper as part of their Pride Month coverage
- Angela Slatter offers great advice for writers between releases in her blog
- Sublime Horror offer eight understated horror movies available on streaming services right now
- LitReactor feature a survey of Jay Wilburn’s career choices by a hundred writers, editors and publishers
Writer Zachary Ashford writes for Gingernuts of Horror on the enduring bond between heavy metal and horror
Writer Zachary Ashford (Sole Survivor) writes for the Gingernuts of Horror on the enduring bonds between horror and heavy metal music, delving into horror’s influence in cover art, lyrics and more.
June is pride month, and Dead Head Reviews feature this powerful article by writer Hailey Piper (The Possession of Natalie Glasgow) titled ‘Internal Queerness Versus External Monsters,’ using imagery from Chantal Beaulne’s horror flash fiction piece ‘The Animals Are Becoming’ to illustrate her points. Essential reading.
Writer Angela Slatter (Vigil) offers some fascinating and genuinely useful advice for writers who find themselves in that awkward place between releases.
Sublime Horror’s Blair Rose picks out eight understated horror movies, available on streaming services right now, to provide some variety from the gorier side of the genre.
LitReactor feature a survey of Jay Wilburn’s career choices by a hundred writers, editors and publishers
Anyone who knows anything about Jay Wilburn (Windows into Hell) will know he’s a writer that has always gone his own way. In this LitReactor article, he shares the canvassed opinion of one hundred writers, editors and publishers on ten of his career choices.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey