Welcome to Must Read Horror. Can you believe it’s been ten thousand and eight minutes since we last talked? Neither can we, but in that time the internet has once again been scoured for the week’s best horror articles, and the results are in:
- Scared to Death: Has Horror Fiction Run Out of Common Fears to Trade On?
- Resurrect the Slasher Film!
- 10 Filmmaking Lessons Troma’s “The Toxic Avenger” Can Teach You
- Thomas Ligotti 101: A Guide to the Cult Writer Now Linked to True Detective
- Toys of Terror #18
For more articles like this, please follow @thisishorror on Twitter.
This article from The Guardian looks at whether horror fiction can still be scary, paying particularly close attention to Lauren Beukes’ The Shining Girls and Joe Hill’s Heart Shaped Box.
Freddy, Jason, Michael, come back, all is forgiven (apart from Freddy Vs Jason, of course, and Halloween Resurrection). Is it time to revivify the slasher flick, with their excessive body-counts and cliché-riddled plotlines? The Escapist seems to think so.
It’s been almost thirty years since Melvin Junko fell into a vat of toxic waste and became an altogether different kind of American superhero. In this article, Taste of Cinema looks at what the Troma exploitation masterpiece The Toxic Avenger can teach budding filmmakers?
You’ve probably heard his name pop up a lot in genre circles these past few weeks, but just who is Thomas Ligotti? Jeff VanderMeer explains all over at Vulture.
Amok Time’s 7.5” ‘Bub’ figure, NECA’s 6” Beetlejuice Headknocker, and a pair of Psycho-themed Living Dead Dolls are featured on Fangoria’s regular column, Toys of Terror.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey