Welcome to Must Read Horror, where we search the internet for the best horror articles of the week so you don’t have to. Without further ado:
- Bloody Disgusting list ten video games written by proven horror directors
- The Verge take an in-depth look at Thelma – a superhero horror full of metaphor
- Mental Floss break down nine horror films based on real-life events
- NME joins the dots to explain how the series of American Horror Story are linked
- Wicked Horror interview genre legend Barbara Crampton
Bloody Disgusting’s Meagan Navarro starts from the recently released Evil Within 2 (written by Trent Haaga) and then takes us through ten video games that were created by renowned horror film directors.
Bryan Bishop of The Verge drills deep into the superhero horror, Thelma, and comes up with some pertinent points about the supernatural in horror as a long established metaphor for the trials of growing up.
For those horror fans looking for a slice of reality in their scary movies, Rudie Obias of Mental Floss has got you covered, with a list of nine such films and a little background on the original, true-to-life, story.
American Horror Story has kept the attention of horror fans for seven seasons now, with its themed settings for each one creating a unique aesthetic. NME’s Rhian Daly joins the dots to draw out what connects each one into a composite whole.
Wicked Horror’s Joey Keogh caught up with actor, producer and all-round genre legend Barbara Crompton (Reanimator, We Are What We Are) at this year’s Frightfest to talk about her career and, in particular, new film Replace.
For more articles like this, please follow @thisishorror on Twitter.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey