Welcome, once again, to Must Read Horror. You want great horror articles? This is the place to find the best the web has to offer. This week:
- 7 Irish Horror Movies Worth A Look
- Ray Bradbury: The Best Writing Teacher You Could Ever Have
- Black Country Prophet: Joel Lane Archive 1
- Horror History: The First Horror Film
- 10 Great Modern French Horror Films That Are Worth Your Time
For more articles like this, please follow @thisishorror on Twitter.
In this article over at Something Stirs, Kealan Patrick Burke looks at seven horror movies from the Emerald Isle that are worthy of your time, and there’s not a leprechaun in sight.
Ray Bradbury was – and still is – one of the most celebrated 20th Century American horror writers, inspiring a generation of horror, sci-fi, and fantasy authors to pick up the pen, and proving that academic education has very little to do with creativity (he was an autodidact, don’tcha know). This article from Tor explains why Bradbury is the best writing teacher you could ever have.
When master storyteller Joel Lane sadly passed away last November, it left a huge hole in the hearts of everyone that knew him. Lane was a short fiction genius, and while many are still mourning his untimely death, Allen Ashley and Simon Marshall Jones have set about preserving his memory over at the Spectral Press website. This instalment, the first of many, features an introduction from anthologist and editor, Stephen Jones, and Joel’s story, ‘Black Country’.
Can you believe that the first official horror film, Le Manoir du Diable (The Haunted Castle) turned 118 this year? Well it did, and to celebrate, Human Echoes takes a look back at the film – you can watch the whole thing at the link, and I think you’ll agree that it’s aged better than most horror movies from the 80s.
This article from Taste of Cinema looks at ten of the best French horror films of recent years, none of which star Gérard Depardieu.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey