Welcome, once again, to Must Read Horror. You want great horror articles? This is the place to find the best the web has to offer. This week:
- Out with a Whimper: When Horror Endings Disappoint
- The 5 Best Horror Comics On Shelves Right Now
- 8 ‘Poltergeist’ Scenes From the Original Film That Will Make You Wonder How It Received a PG Rating
- When Horror Movie Jump Scares Actually Work
- Tanith Lee, 1947-2015
For more articles like this, please follow @thisishorror on Twitter.
There’s nothing more frustrating than a cop-out ending, especially when you were good enough to donate ninety minutes of your time to get there. In this article, Dread Central looks at some of the worst endings in horror history.
In this article, LitReactor looks at five of the best horror comics on shelves right now.
Paddington, Frozen, Poltergeist, Despicable Me, The Lego Movie. Four of these were the rightful recipients of a PG rating. The other? Well, the other was a shit-your-pants suburban nightmare featuring possessed clowns and hungry trees. In this article, Bustle looks at eight scenes from the original Poltergeist that will have you scratching your head at the BBFC.
Whether you’re a fan of the jump-scare or not, you have to admit that sometimes they work. Krank.ie looks at five such instances.
We lost another great this week. Needless to say, this obituary from The Telegraph was one of hundreds to hit the net in the wake of Tanith Lee’s sad passing.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey