In this podcast Laird Barron talks about growing up in Alaska, applying life lessons to writing, dealing with despair, and much more.
Original photo credit: Ellen Datlow
About Laird Barron
Laird Barron, an ex-pat Alaskan, is the author of several books, including The Imago Sequence and Other Stories; Swift to Chase; and Blood Standard. Currently, Barron lives in the Rondout Valley of New York State and is at work on tales about the evil that men do.
- [03:35] Important life lessons growing up in Alaska
- [12:00] First experiences telling stories
- [23:20] Homeschooled upbringing/self-education
- [31:55] Lessons from tough upbringing that can be applied to writing
- [36:50] Dealing with despair
- [40:00] Airing despair on social media
Castle Rock Radio and Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing
Check out Castle Rock Radio on iTunes and support Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing on Patreon.
Deciduous Tales is a new literary journal featuring the very best in dark fiction. Join Richard Thomas, Matthew Brockmeyer, Douglas Milliken, Brian Asman, Josh Chaplinsky, and more on a journey through the shadowy realms of literature. From horror and suspense to neo-noir and transgressive, from classic creators to contemporary authors, Deciduous Tales is dedicated to highlighting the thought-provoking, the scintillating, and the strange. Find out more at deciduoustales.com or visit our Facebook page. Deciduous Tales, available now. Get yours today.
- Laird Barron fiction
- Asimov’s Magazine
- Fantasy & Science Fiction
- Nightmare Magazine