In this podcast Jessica McHugh talks about lessons learned teaching Creative Writing, the myth of writer’s block, working as a stripper at nineteen, bizarro and much more.
About Jessica McHugh
Jessica McHugh is a novelist, poet, and internationally produced playwright running amok in the fields of horror, sci-fi, young adult, and wherever else her peculiar mind leads. She’s had eighteen books published in eight years, including her bizarro romp, The Green Kangaroos, her Post Mortem Press bestseller, Rabbits in the Garden, and her edgy YA series, The Darla Decker Diaries. More information on her published and forthcoming fiction can be found at JessicaMcHughBooks.com.
- [02:25] Max Booth’s editing
- [03:55] Small press
- [15:50] Writing goals
- [27:10] Lessons learned teaching Creative Writing
- [41:45] Adrian Shotbolt, via Patreon, asks about writer’s block
- [46:30] Morning rituals and daily habits
- [53:55] Advice to eighteen year old self
- [57:40] Working as a stripper
- [01:05:45] Craziest thing while working as a stripper
- [01:15:55] Intimidating writers
- [01:18:10] White whales and career aspirations
- [01:20:20] Bizarro
- [01:27:20] Two fiction and two non-fiction recommendations
- [01:31:35] Connect with Jessica
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
ResourcesBuy Jessica McHugh fiction
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.[podcast src=”https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4677655/height-orig/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/forward/height/90″ height=”90″ width=”100%” placement=”bottom” theme=”custom”]
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey