In this podcast Jeremy Robert Johnson talks about Skullcrack City, Visits from the FBI and Style over Substance in Stories.
About Jeremy Robert Johnson
Jeremy Robert Johnson is the author of We Live Inside You, the cult hit Angel Dust Apocalypse, the Stoker Nominated novel Siren Promised (w/Alan M. Clark), and the end-of-the-world freak-out Extinction Journals. His fiction has appeared internationally in numerous anthologies and magazines. In 2008 he worked with The Mars Volta to tell the story behind their Grammy Winning album The Bedlam in Goliath. In 2010 he spoke about weirdness and metaphor as a survival tool at the Fractal 10 conference in Medellin, Colombia (where fellow speakers included DJ Spooky, an MIT bio-engineer, and a doctor who explained the neurological aspirations of a sponge). He is also the founder of indie publishing house Swallowdown Press and is at work on a host of new books.
- [02:40] Interview start
- [03:07] Initial interest in genre and writing
- [06:55] Discerning between genuine passion and manufactured stories
- [07:35] The Jeremy Robert Johnson style of writing
- [11:30] Short story titles
- [13:30] Humour
- [19:10] Planning Skullcrack City
- [21:10] The Skullcrack City story
- [24:35] Dealing with surprise while writing
- [27:40] The FBI visit Jeremy Robert Johnson
- [32:55] Style over substance in stories
- [35:04] Abandoning stories
- [37:00] Day-to-day work and writing routine
- [38:05] Swallowdown Press
- [39:30] Live readings
- [45:00] Corresponding with other authors
- [47:50] Outtakes
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey