In this podcast S.P. Miskowski talks about I Wish I Was Like You, writing advice, her ideal weird fiction syllabus, and much more.
About S. P. Miskowski
S.P. Miskowski is a three-time Shirley Jackson Award nominee and is the recipient of two National Endowment for the Arts Fellowships and a Swarthout Award. Her M.F.A. is from the University of Washington. Her stories have been published in Supernatural Tales, Black Static, Other Voices, Identity Theory, and Strange Aeons as well as in the anthologies Haunted Nights, The Madness of Dr. Caligari, October Dreams 2, Autumn Cthulhu, Cassilda’s Song, The Hyde Hotel, Darker Companions: Celebrating 50 Years of Ramsey Campbell, Tales from a Talking Board, and Looming Low.
- [04:00] I Wish I Was Like You
- [12:50] Lee Todd Butcher’s writing advice
- [18:50] Widely given writing advice strongly disagree with
- [27:40] Boxwino, via Patreon, asks about weird syllabus
- [33:00] Sarah Pinborough and commercially successful books
- [45:30] Jake Marley, via Patreon, asks about preparation for novels and revision
- [51:20] David Powell, via Patreon, favourite thing about the Pacific North West
- [56:15] Connect with S.P. Miskowski
- [59:40] Final thoughts
Deciduous Tales is a new literary journal featuring the very best in dark fiction. Join Richard Thomas, Matthew Brockmeyer, Douglas Milliken, Brian Asman, Josh Chaplinsky, and more on a journey through the shadowy realms of literature. From horror and suspense to neo-noir and transgressive, from classic creators to contemporary authors, Deciduous Tales is dedicated to highlighting the thought-provoking, the scintillating, and the strange. Find out more at deciduoustales.com or visit our Facebook page. Deciduous Tales, available now. Get yours today.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey