In this podcast we provide you with some of the best clips from the patrons only Q&A sessions with Michael David Wilson and Bob Pastorella.
About Michael David Wilson and Bob Pastorella
Michael David Wilson and Bob Pastorella are the co-hosts of the This Is Horror Podcast and co-authors of a forthcoming novella scheduled for release in 2018.
Michael is the Founder of the popular UK horror website, podcast and small press, This Is Horror (hey that’s this website!). A professional writer, editor, and podcaster, Michael has worked for various publications and companies including 2000 AD, Terrorizer, LitReactor, Broken River Books, Dark Moon Digest, and Scream. A professional ESL Teacher and graduate of the University of Warwick’s English Literature and Creative Writing Programme, Michael is currently working and living in Japan. You can connect with Michael on Twitter @WilsonTheWriter. For more information and a blog packed full of writing advice visit www.michaeldavidwilson.co.uk
Bob is the author of the weird crime novella, Mojo Rising, and the zombie western short story, ‘To Watch Is Madness’. Bob is featured in Warmed & Bound: A Velvet Anthology, The Booked. Anthology, In Search of a City: Los Angeles in 1000 Words, and Borderlands 6. His fiction has been published widely both online and in print, and he is a former columnist for ManArchy Magazine and Revolt Daily. Bob lives in Southeast Texas, and is currently working on several projects.
- [03:30] Ross Byers asks about music and our writing process (taken from TIHP 001: Writing Process, Dream Guests, Music, Book Purchases and Day Jobs)
- [13:40] Mark N asks about who we turn to for feedback after finishing drafts and how constructive criticism shapes finished work (taken from TIHP 003: Personal Strengths, Horror Magazines and Fighting Horses)
- [22:20] Travis Earl, asks about time management techniques (taken from TIHP 005: Time Management, David James Keaton VS Stephen Graham Jones, and Favourite Horror Subgenres)
- [26:10] John Kilgallon asks about writing tools, story bibles, file sharing (taken from TIHP 006: Writing Tools, Beta Readers, and The Next This Is Horror Publication)
- [48:50] Kendra Temples asks about indy/self-published writers and small presses (taken from TIHP 007: Self-Publishing and Small Presses, Current Reads, and Looking to the Future)
- [01:25:00] Wrap-up
Coming October 5th, Deciduous Tales is a new literary journal featuring the very best in dark fiction. Join Richard Thomas, Matthew Brockmeyer, Douglas Milliken, Brian Asman, Josh Chaplinsky, and more on a journey through the shadowy realms of literature. From horror and suspense to neo-noir and transgressive, from classic creators to contemporary authors, Deciduous Tales is dedicated to highlighting the thought-provoking, the scintillating, and the strange. Find out more at deciudoustales.com or visit our Facebook page. Deciduous Tales, available October 5th. Get yours today.
Music We Listen ToJohn Carpenter Lost Themes The Revenant Soundtrack by Ryuichi Sakamoto
Deep Focus Playlist on SpotifyUlver Sunn O))) Tool Goblin It Follows soundtrack The Doors Mojo Rising by Bob Pastorella Sigur Ros Portishead Goatsnake
Small Press, Independent Publishing, and Author-Entrepreneurs
(as compiled generously by Kendra Temples)
This Is Horror Recommends
This Is Horror Podcast episodes corresponding to recommendations included
~~Recommended Indie/Hybrid Authors Who Write Horror/Weird Fiction~~
Iain Rob Wright – Ep. 89/91 (Has free self-publishing course)
Michaelbrent Collings – Ep. 107/108
Philip Fracassi – Ep. 150/151/152
Matthew M Bartlett
Ania Ahlborn – Ep. 135/136
David Moody – Ep. 2, Ep. 21, Ep. 100
Chuck Wendig (Check out blog Terrible Minds & books about writing)
Adam Nevill – Ep.137/138/139
~~Recommended Small Press~~
Perpetual Motion Machine (Max Booth + Lori Michelle) – Ep.56/57
Infected Books (David Moody)
Ritual Limited (Adam Nevill)
This Is Horror
Broken River Books (J. David Osborne) – Ep. 26/27, Ep.116/117
Word Horde (speculative fiction of all varieties)
Eraserhead Press (bizarro fiction)
Cohesion Press (Geoff Brown)
Crowded Quarantine (Adam Millard) – Ep. 23
~~Horror & Weird Fiction Magazines~~
Interzone (TTA Press)
Nightmare Magazine (John Joseph Adams) – Ep. 42/43, Ep. 46
Apex Magazine (Jason Sizemore)
The Dark Magazine (Silvia Moreno-Garcia)
Dark Moon Digest (Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing)
Strange Aeons (Kelly Young + Justin Steele)
~~Other Authors Mentioned~~
Jeremy Robert Johnson
Stephen Graham Jones
Joanna Penn (Self-publishing podcast – thecreativepenn.com)
Mark Dawson (Self-publishing podcast – Mark Dawson’s Self-Publishing Formula)
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey
Subscribe, Rate and Review on iTunes!
Want a free horror eBook?
Subscribe for the latest horror news and to find out about new This Is Horror products, podcasts, books, and all that good stuff ahead of the crowd.