In this podcast Nick Gucker talks about yokai, conventions, and gives advice to artists.
About Nick Gucker
Nick Gucker’s art has appeared on the covers and the innards of numerous Lovecraftian, horror, and weird fiction publications. His illustrations embellish publications from Word Horde, Spectral, Deadite, Swallowdown, Eraserhead, Perilous, Splatterpunk, Blysster, Uncle Mike’s Woldwide, Ulthar, Eryx, Martian Migraine, Dunhams Manor, Dynatox, Lovecraft eZine, and Sinister Grin Press. In 2012, Nick won the Pickman’s Apprentice Iron Artist challenge at the Portland HP Lovecraft Film Festival and he created artwork used for the 2013 HP Lovecraft Film Festival posters and merchandise. Nick has exhibited his works in a variety of group gallery shows. In 2014, Nick had his first solo show at Spectrum House, “A Compendium of Curious Creeps”. Nick’s artwork has appeared in two music videos produced by Phil Mucci and Diabolik Films.
- [03:10] Interview start/art
- [08:40] Yokai
- [17:35] Conventions
- [21:45] Favourite conventions for business and for social
- [31:35] Advice for artists starting out looking to establish themselves
- [37:30] Biggest newcomer mistake
- [40:20] Working on multiple projects simultaneously
- [49:40] Most useful art purchases under £100 and £1000
- [52:55] Advice to eighteen-year-old self
- [01:02:35] Dim Shores chapbook and Nick Gucker t-shirts
- [01:09:50] Connect with Nick
Get a FREE audiobook download and 30-day free trial at www.audibletrial.com/thisishorror. Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player. This week we recommend Story by Robert McKee.
Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing
Silent Hill meets David Lynch in Betty Rocksteady’s Like Jagged Teeth. The guys following her home are bad enough, but when Jacalyn’s Poppa comes to the rescue, things only get worse. After all, he’s been dead for six years. When she ends up back at Poppa’s new apartment, nothing feels right. The food here doesn’t taste how food should taste. The doors don’t work how doors are supposed to work. And something’s not right with Poppa. Guilt and sickness spiral Jacalyn into a nightmarish new reality of hallucinations and body horror. Like Jagged Teeth by Betty Rocksteady is available wherever nightmares are sold.
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get access to our patrons-only podcast Story Unboxed: The Horror Podcast on the Craft of Writing.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey