In this podcast Nick Gucker talks about art, weird fiction, Monster Magnet, and much more.
About Nick Gucker
Nick Gucker’s art has appeared on the covers and the innards of numerous Lovecraftian, horror, and weird fiction publications. His illustrations embellish publications from Word Horde, Spectral, Deadite, Swallowdown, Eraserhead, Perilous, Splatterpunk, Blysster, Uncle Mike’s Woldwide, Ulthar, Eryx, Martian Migraine, Dunhams Manor, Dynatox, Lovecraft eZine, and Sinister Grin Press. In 2012, Nick won the Pickman’s Apprentice Iron Artist challenge at the Portland HP Lovecraft Film Festival and he created artwork used for the 2013 HP Lovecraft Film Festival posters and merchandise. Nick has exhibited his works in a variety of group gallery shows. In 2014, Nick had his first solo show at Spectrum House, “A Compendium of Curious Creeps”. Nick’s artwork has appeared in two music videos produced by Phil Mucci and Diabolik Films.
- [04:10] Interview start/ earliest memories of art and illustrations
- [22:20] How to capture the weird in art
- [28:05] Describing aesthetic and work
- [31:35] Typical working day
- [48:15] Current projects
- [52:50] Work for Monster Magnet
Get a FREE audiobook download and 30-day free trial at www.audibletrial.com/thisishorror. Over 180,000 titles to choose from for your iPhone, Android, Kindle or mp3 player. This week we recommend Kindred by Octavia Butler.
Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing
Anarchists, assassins, and assholes make up the three types of people you’ll find in Andrew Hilbert’s new novel, Invasion of the Weirdos, out now from Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing. There’s also a robot vending machine that hugs children. Yeah, things get a little weird in this psychedelic journey set in the heart of Austin, TX. Obviously. Where else? Portland? HA! Invasion of the Weirdos by Andrew Hilbert is available right freakin’ now.
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey