In this podcast Betty Rocksteady talks about weird fiction, research, outlining, and much more.
About Betty Rocksteady
Betty Rocksteady is your everyday Canadian weirdo with a leaning towards the macabre and grotesque. Besides writing violent and sexual and just plain weird fiction, she does black and white horror illustration. Her debut novella, Arachnophile, was part of Eraserhead Press’ 2015 New Bizarro Authors Series. If you’ve been dying to read about a man who falls in love with a giant spider, this is probably the book for you. Her short fiction has been published in Eternal Frankenstein, Lost Signals, Turn to Ash, and DOA III. Find out more at www.bettyrocksteady.com or connect on twitter @bettyrocksteady.
- [02:10] Interview start/research
- [10:30] Adrian Shotbolt, via Patreon, asks about a novel in the future
- [15:00] Thomas Joyce, via Patreon, asks about outlining process
- [18:20] Thomas Joyce, via Patreon, asks about advice for aspiring writers
- [23:20] Max Booth, via Patreon, asks about Joe Dante’s The Hole
- [26:20] Max Booth, via Patreon, asks about the thumbs-up icon in Facebook Messenger
- [27:45] Adrian Shotbolt, via Patreon, asks a cricket question that nobody understands
- [28:45] Writing routine
- [35:40] Advice for eighteen-year-old self
- [37:00] Intimidating writers
- [48:40] Is understanding the weird important or is the unknown more important
- [53:15] Two fiction and two non-fiction recommendations
- [57:20] Upcoming projects
- [59:25] Best writing advice
- [01:00:40] Outro/extreme summer of podcasting
- [01:11:25] Outtakes
EXTREME Summer of Podcasting
From June–August we’re having an EXTREME Summer of Podcasting. How extreme? You decide. For every $10 or 2 patrons that pledge to the This Is Horror Podcast Patreon in April we’ll record an extra episode. The gates opened at 81 patrons and $515.
When you pledge to the podcast you get early bird access to all our episodes, the ability to ask the guest a question, and you keep the show alive. So pledge today and get ready for an EXTREME Summer. The This Is Horror Podcast—Podcasting just got EXTREME*.
*Please read the final two lines in the voice of Bob Pastorella … you know, like when he says, “Tanis—it’s television … for your ears.”
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
- Betty Rocksteady fiction
- The Yellow Wallpaper
- Self-Editing for Fiction Writers
- Puppet Skin by Danger Slater
- Six Novels in Woodcut by Lynd Ward
- Into Thin Air
- The Guardian Ten Rules for Writing Fiction
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey
Subscribe, Rate and Review on iTunes!
Want a free horror eBook?
Subscribe for the latest horror news and to find out about new This Is Horror products, podcasts, books, and all that good stuff ahead of the crowd.