In this podcast J. David Osborne and Michael David Wilson talk about turning thirty, failing in public and the misconception surrounding minimum effective dose.
About J. David Osborne
J. David Osborne is the Portland, Oregon based author of the Wonderland Award-winningBy the Time We Leave Here, We’ll Be Friends, Low Down Death Right Easy, and Black Gum. He is currently the publisher-in-chief of the weird crime fiction press Broken River Books.
About Michael David Wilson
Michael David Wilson is the Founder of the popular UK horror website, podcast and small press, This Is Horror (you know, the website you’re on right now). A professional writer, editor and podcaster, Michael has worked for various publications and companies including 2000 AD, Terrorizer, LitReactor, Broken River Books and Scream. A professional ESL Teacher and graduate of The University of Warwick’s English Literature and Creative Writing Programme, Michael is currently working and living in Japan. You can connect with Michael on Twitter @WilsonTheWriter.
- [01:45] Interview start: alcohol
- [09:30] Physical fitness/turning 30/freeletics
- [13:45] The ‘so many fucks’ rule
- [16:45] The One Thing by Gary Keller/ The Subtle Art of Not Giving A Fuck by Mark Manson
- [22:15] Zen calm and the removal of ego from writing; Becoming comfortable with failure
- [31:45] Regretting chances not taken/failing in public
- [39:10] Held back by others’ perception of good art
- [41:10] Genre in Japan
- [44:45] Five things MDW does every day/translations/language learning
- [53:20] Clarifications and corrections regarding kanji. Joyou kanji is 2,136 characters. The Japanese Industrial Standards for kanji currently contain 6,355 kanji (JIS X 0208). The Dai Kan-Wa Jiten, which is considered to be comprehensive in Japan, contains over 50,000 kanji.
- [53:50] The minimum effective dose misconception
- [59:00] Overwork and burnout/relocating; depression
- [01:11:00] Turning thirty/lessons learned since starting out
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey
Subscribe, Rate and Review on iTunes!
Want a free horror eBook?
Subscribe for the latest horror news and to find out about new This Is Horror products, podcasts, books, and all that good stuff ahead of the crowd. What have got to lose? I guess, nothing really, you could unsubscribe any time. I mean, technically you could just grab the free eBook and run. That'd be it. Easy. But don't do that. Stick around. You might like it here.