In this podcast Jessica McHugh talks about lessons learned teaching Creative Writing, the myth of writer’s block, working as a stripper at nineteen, bizarro and much more.
About Jessica McHugh
Jessica McHugh is a novelist, poet, and internationally produced playwright running amok in the fields of horror, sci-fi, young adult, and wherever else her peculiar mind leads. She’s had eighteen books published in eight years, including her bizarro romp, The Green Kangaroos, her Post Mortem Press bestseller, Rabbits in the Garden, and her edgy YA series, The Darla Decker Diaries. More information on her published and forthcoming fiction can be found at JessicaMcHughBooks.com.
- [02:25] Max Booth’s editing
- [03:55] Small press
- [15:50] Writing goals
- [27:10] Lessons learned teaching Creative Writing
- [41:45] Adrian Shotbolt, via Patreon, asks about writer’s block
- [46:30] Morning rituals and daily habits
- [53:55] Advice to eighteen year old self
- [57:40] Working as a stripper
- [01:05:45] Craziest thing while working as a stripper
- [01:15:55] Intimidating writers
- [01:18:10] White whales and career aspirations
- [01:20:20] Bizarro
- [01:27:20] Two fiction and two non-fiction recommendations
- [01:31:35] Connect with Jessica
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
ResourcesBuy Jessica McHugh fiction
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
Support the This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
We offer the This Is Horror Podcast free of charge, but if you think it’s worth $1 per month we’d love you to join our Patreon. You’ll receive Patron perks, too, such as early bird access to all episodes, the ability to submit questions to our guests and even discounts off This Is Horror products.The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey