In this podcast V. H. Leslie talks about writing retreats, gender, writing routine and much more.
About V. H. Leslie
V. H. Leslie’s first book, Skein and Bone, a collection of strange and supernatural tales, was released by Undertow Publications in July 2015. V. H. Leslie’s stories have appeared in a range of speculative publications, including Black Static, Interzone, Shadows & Tall Trees, Weird Fiction Review and Strange Tales IV and have been reprinted in a range of “Year’s Best” anthologies. She is a Hawthornden Fellow and was awarded a place at the Saari Institute in Finland, where she worked on her forthcoming novel concerning various strands of Nordic myth and folklore. She was the winner of the Lightship First Chapter Prize 2013 and a finalist for the Shirley Jackson Award in the category of novelette. When Victoria isn’t writing, she is drawing or etching and is a member of the Omega Printmakers. Her debut novel, Bodies of Water, is due out in May 2016.
- [01:24] First experiences with story.
- [02:30] Transition to horror genre.
- [03:30] First horror story read.
- [05:20] University.
- [07:20] Gender.
- [18:40] Pseudonyms
- [20:25] Graham Joyce
- [25:00] Writing routine, discipline and prioritisation
- [34:00] Writing residencies
- [42:00] Benefits of writers’ retreats and impact on writing
- [44:45] Applying to writing residencies and retreats
- [47:25] Lessons learned from writing residencies
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
Support the This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
We offer the This Is Horror Podcast free of charge, but if you think it’s worth $1 per month we’d love you to join our Patreon. You’ll receive Patron perks, too, such as early bird access to all episodes, the ability to submit questions to our guests and even discounts off This Is Horror products.The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey