In this podcast Helen Marshall talks about Fantasy genre misconceptions, Clarion West Writers Workshop and rules of writing.
About Helen Marshall
Helen Marshall is an award-winning author, editor, and bibliophile. Her poetry and fiction have been published in The Chiaroscuro, Abyss & Apex, Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet, Tor.com and has been reprinted in several Year’s Best anthologies. Her debut collection of short stories Hair Side, Flesh Side (ChiZine Publications, 2012) was named one of the top ten books of 2012 by January Magazine and won the British Fantasy Sydney J. Bounds Award. Her second collection Gifts for the One Who Comes After (ChiZine Publications, 2014) won the Shirley Jackson Award and has been short-listed for the World Fantasy Award, the British Fantasy Award, the Bram Stoker Award and the Aurora Award.
- [02:35] Interview start/growing up in Canada
- [06:35] Performing work in public and confronting fears
- [14:40] Misconceptions surrounding the fantasy genre
- [18:15] Blurring genre lines and the new weird
- [19:20] Story planning and preparation
- [31:10] Clarion West Writers Workshop
- [40:40] Rules of writing
- [47:35] Shift in mindset for novel writing
- [51:00] Third short story collection
- [55:40] Oxford influence
Please support the This Is Horror Podcast
- Buy Helen Marshall books (UK)
- Buy Helen Marshall books (US)
- Chuck Palahniuk’s Nuts and Bolts: “Thought” Verbs
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
Visit our Patreon page and donate to the This Is Horror Podcast
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
Support the This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
We offer the This Is Horror Podcast free of charge, but if you think it’s worth $1 per month we’d love you to join our Patreon. You’ll receive Patron perks, too, such as early bird access to all episodes, the ability to submit questions to our guests and even discounts off This Is Horror products.The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey