In this podcast Jeremy Robert Johnson talks about Skullcrack City, Visits from the FBI and Style over Substance in Stories.
About Jeremy Robert Johnson
Jeremy Robert Johnson is the author of We Live Inside You, the cult hit Angel Dust Apocalypse, the Stoker Nominated novel Siren Promised (w/Alan M. Clark), and the end-of-the-world freak-out Extinction Journals. His fiction has appeared internationally in numerous anthologies and magazines. In 2008 he worked with The Mars Volta to tell the story behind their Grammy Winning album The Bedlam in Goliath. In 2010 he spoke about weirdness and metaphor as a survival tool at the Fractal 10 conference in Medellin, Colombia (where fellow speakers included DJ Spooky, an MIT bio-engineer, and a doctor who explained the neurological aspirations of a sponge). He is also the founder of indie publishing house Swallowdown Press and is at work on a host of new books.
- [02:40] Interview start
- [03:07] Initial interest in genre and writing
- [06:55] Discerning between genuine passion and manufactured stories
- [07:35] The Jeremy Robert Johnson style of writing
- [11:30] Short story titles
- [13:30] Humour
- [19:10] Planning Skullcrack City
- [21:10] The Skullcrack City story
- [24:35] Dealing with surprise while writing
- [27:40] The FBI visit Jeremy Robert Johnson
- [32:55] Style over substance in stories
- [35:04] Abandoning stories
- [37:00] Day-to-day work and writing routine
- [38:05] Swallowdown Press
- [39:30] Live readings
- [45:00] Corresponding with other authors
- [47:50] Outtakes
Please subscribe to This Is Horror podcast RSS Feed
Subscribe via iTunes
Listen to This Is Horror via iTunes
You can also find us on Stitcher, Zune and Blackberry.
Support the This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
We offer the This Is Horror Podcast free of charge, but if you think it’s worth $1 per month we’d love you to join our Patreon. You’ll receive Patron perks, too, such as early bird access to all episodes, the ability to submit questions to our guests and even discounts off This Is Horror products.The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey