Ask anyone to explain a link between religion and horror movies and you’ll undoubtedly hear a large number of replies citing the use of crosses to ward off vampires. But, the genre is so heavily laced with religious sub-plots and analogies, it goes much deeper than Van Helsing brandishing a representation of where Jesus was crucified in the face of Count Dracula. On top of this, when you really look into it, it appears that religion is one of the most impotent tropes in horror cinema, with characters putting misplaced trust into age old beliefs in the hope that they will be saved. Unfortunately, that’s just not going to work.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey
Subscribe, Rate and Review on iTunes!
Want a free horror eBook?
Subscribe for the latest horror news and to find out about new This Is Horror products, podcasts, books, and all that good stuff ahead of the crowd.