Welcome to Must Read Horror. The internet has been scoured once again for the week’s best horror articles, and the results are in:
- You’re Killing Me: The Driving Factor Behind 1970s Horror
- Genre Gut-Punches: The Death of Laurie Strode
- Rubber, Road, Brains and Souls: 5 Killer Car Flicks That Will Never Be Forgotten
- Why Horror Isn’t Doomed
- Toys of Terror #6
For more articles like this, please follow @thisishorror on Twitter.
It was the decade in which Margaret Thatcher’s Conservative Party took charge of the United Kingdom, Jethro Tull were a force to be reckoned with, and bell-bottomed pants were the only trousers you could buy (buy two, get a free turtle-neck sweater!). It was also a decade of great horror, but why were 1970s horror films so damn great? Horrormovies.ca investigates.
As one of the original ‘final girls’ Laurie Strode was certainly put through the wringer by her crazed brother, Shatner-faced lunatic Michael Myers. After surviving several encounters with Myers (and one with Busta Rhymes), Laurie Strode was unceremoniously killed to death. In this article, Icons of Fright takes a closer look at the character and her unfortunate demise.
There’s nothing worse than being hunted in the middle of the night by two tonnes of twisted steel. Except, perhaps, two tonnes of twisted steel with no-one behind the wheel. In this article, Dread Central looks at five of the best killer car movies. The 2010 French horror-comedy, Rubber, apparently didn’t feature enough of the car to qualify.
Horror has had a tough time at the box office recently, with The Quiet Ones, Oculus, and Devil’s Due all underperforming, but should we be worried? According to this article from Bloody Disgusting, not in the slightest.
Fangoria’s Toys of Terror series continues with a look at Neca’s 7″ Videogame Freddy Krueger, Pop!’s vinyl Xenomorph, and a set of Dexter coasters that will keep blood off any surface.
This Is Horror Books
The best way you can support This Is Horror is buy our books. Head on over to the This Is Horror Shop to see the books we have available. We have a special offer on All Four Year One Books – JUST £10!
You can buy our latest release, The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud direct from us right now. Each direct order includes eBooks in PDF, epub and mobi format.
Buy This Is Horror Books on Kindle!
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud (Buy on Amazon UK.) (Buy on Amazon US.)
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones (Buy on Amazon UK.) (Buy on Amazon US.)
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley (Buy on Amazon UK.) (Buy on Amazon US.)
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey (Buy on Amazon UK.) (Buy on Amazon US.)
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan (Buy on Amazon UK) (Buy on Amazon US.)