Welcome to Must Read Horror, the place to find the best horror articles the internet has to offer. This week:
- Ten of the Most Horrible Hospitals in Horror
- Mind Meld: Horror – Why You Love It, Why We Write It, and Where It’s Going
- Toys of Terror #1
- The Best Horror Movie Monsters That Used No CGI – Part 1
- The Reil World of Horror
For more articles like this, please follow @thisishorror on Twitter.
Hospitals are not nice places. Filled with death, sick people, and overpriced vending machines, it’s easy to see why they have become a common trope in horror movies. This article from FearNet looks at ten hospitals you especially wouldn’t want to find yourself in.
In this article from SFSignal, Steve Rasnic Tem, John Mantooth, Jeff Strand, and many more discuss their thoughts on the current state of the genre, and why we all love it.
This brand new feature from Fangoria aims to bring you all the news and releases in horror toys. This first edition looks at Mezco’s definitive Chucky doll, Neco’s reproduction Alien egg, and Funko’s rather cutesy Captain Spaulding.
There was a time, and I remember it well, when computers were the same size as four-bed bungalows and had to be transported across the country in fleets. Back then, filmmakers had to rely on the skills of their FX department, who used something called practical (pronounced Prak-ti-kul, I think) effects. This might sound like something from science-fiction, but I assure you, it’s all true. Take a look at these movie monsters, compiled by HorrorMovies.ca, which had to be completely made up from scratch and by human hands. I shit you not!
Former professional wrestler Billy Reil’s inaugural column over at Horror News, in which he talks A Nightmare on Elm Street, his transition from pro-wrestling to acting, and 1987 Fox series, Werewolf, starring Chuck Connors.
This Is Horror Books
The best way you can support This Is Horror is buy our books. Head on over to the This Is Horror Shop to see the books we have available. We have a special offer on All Four Year One Books – JUST £10!
You can buy our latest release, The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud direct from us right now. Each direct order includes eBooks in PDF, epub and mobi format.
Buy This Is Horror Books on Kindle!
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud (Buy on Amazon UK.) (Buy on Amazon US.)
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones (Buy on Amazon UK.) (Buy on Amazon US.)
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley (Buy on Amazon UK.) (Buy on Amazon US.)
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey (Buy on Amazon UK.) (Buy on Amazon US.)
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan (Buy on Amazon UK) (Buy on Amazon US.)