Welcome to Must Read Horror, the place to find the best horror articles of the week. Once again we’ve searched the internet for interesting and notable articles for your reading pleasure. This week:
- If they made horror – Hypothetical horror films from 8 non-horror directors
- William Castle’s five top movie gimmicks
- Is it time to retire the fantastic four of horror?
- In spite of violent national tragedies, horror films endure
- The most annoying horror movie clichés
For more articles like this, please follow @thisishorror on Twitter.
An interesting look into what might happen if Judd Apatow ever decided he’d had enough of Seth Rogen-fronted adult comedies, or if Christopher Nolan fancied himself something a bit more brutal than that old back-breaker, Bane. Bloody Disgusting delve into the possibilities of such films, and what the finished product might look like.
Filmmakers have, for years, tried everything to maximise box-office revenue. When all else fails, there’s always the tried and tested gimmick. Over at FearNet, Alyse Wax takes a look at perhaps the most famous exponent of the gimmick, William Castle.
Truly Disturbing ask the question most people already have an answer to. Should Freddy, Jason, Michael and Leatherface finally hang up their respective slaughter-tools and settle down, maybe in Jersey, with a cup of Lipton’s Herbal Tea?
In the wake of several horrific shootings, Reuters investigate why horror movies remain so successful, and whether it’s moral to release such brutal movies so soon after a national tragedy.
We all do it. Scream at the idiot on the screen in the hope they’ll suddenly develop a functioning brain. How many times have you witnessed a character’s demise because they decided the only way across the room was by stepping over the unconscious killer’s body? Horror Movies.ca have compiled an extensive list of annoying clichés that you might decide to use as a tick-list for any 80s horror franchise.
This Is Horror Books
The best way you can support This Is Horror is buy our books. Head on over to the This Is Horror Shop to see the books we have available. We have a special offer on All Four Year One Books – JUST £10!
You can buy our latest release, The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud direct from us right now. Each direct order includes eBooks in PDF, epub and mobi format.
Buy This Is Horror Books on Kindle!
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud (Buy on Amazon UK.) (Buy on Amazon US.)
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones (Buy on Amazon UK.) (Buy on Amazon US.)
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley (Buy on Amazon UK.) (Buy on Amazon US.)
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey (Buy on Amazon UK.) (Buy on Amazon US.)
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan (Buy on Amazon UK) (Buy on Amazon US.)