Welcome, once again, to Must Read Horror. You want great horror articles? This is the place to find the best the web has to offer. This week:
- The Real Madame Lalaurie & Other Legends From American Horror Story: Coven
- The 9 Best Satanic Cults in History
- Nightmare Royale #10: Horror and Shit (On the Mind-Blowing Bizarro Nightmare Stylings of Carlton Mellick III)
- 7 Great Victorian Ghost Story Writers
- 8 Big Screen Horror Movies That Are Headed for the Small Screen
For more articles like this, please follow @thisishorror on Twitter.
You will no doubt be familiar with Kathy Bates’ portrayal as Madame Lalaurie in American Horror Story: Coven (or the season of the witch, as it will be fondly remembered in years to come) but did you know that the evil demon in the shape of a woman was actually a real person? No, not Kathy Bates, Madame Lalaurie. Well, she was, and this article from Deep South Magazine takes a look at her life, and how it compares with the fictionalized version.
Strange title for this one. It’s a bit like having an article called My All Time Favourite Neo-Nazis or The Greatest Paedophiles of All Time. Still, this article from i09 is a good read for rhose interested in cults, Satan, and all that jazz.
Nightmare Royale #10: Horror and Shit (On the Mind-Blowing Bizarro Nightmare Stylings of Carlton Mellick III)
As the author of such classics as The Baby Jesus Butt Plug, The Haunted Vagina, and Razor Wire Pubic Hair, Carlton Mellick III has cemented his reputation as the godfather of Bizarro. In this article over at Fangoria, John Skipp tells you exactly why you should be reading this controversial genius.
If you like nothing more than a good ghost story, then you need look no further than these purveyors of nightmares from the Victorian era, courtesy of Old Style Tales.
Everyone’s sick of remakes, and reboots, and goddamned reimaginings on the big screen. But that doesn’t seem to be the case on the small screen. With Bates Motel and Hannibal proving extremely successful, the studios have stood up and took notice, like the money-sniffing meerkats they are. This article from FearNet lists eight movies that are going to receive the small screen treatment.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey