Welcome to this week’s edition of Must Read Horror, your one-stop shop for the best horror articles the internet has to offer. This week:
- Horror-Loving Kids and the Parents Who Encourage It
- 10 Vintage British Horror Films You Can’t Afford To Miss
- Weird Menace: From Grandpa’s Torture Porn To Scooby Doo and Beyond
- Your Favourite Horror Icons Vs. Vampires
- Bekah’s Ten: Lesser Known Found Footage Films
For more articles like this, please follow @thisishorror on Twitter.
We’ve all used the phrase, “It never did me any harm,” and in most cases you’re absolutely correct. Yet some people still believe that raising kids on horror is inherently wrong, and that any child exposed to such material will go on to become serial-killers/clowns/politicians. Not the parents in this article from FearNet, though. They’re awesome.
When you mention the words British and Horror in the same sentence, one of the first things that comes to mind is Hammer, but what if I told you there were other horror films, films that didn’t have a Christopher Lee or a Peter Cushing in sight? This article from What Culture looks at ten of the best British horror films that you might have overlooked.
This fascinating article from Weird Tales Magazine looks at a very successful sub-genre of horror fiction, one that you will be familiar with if you’ve ever watched an episode (any episode) of Scooby Doo.
Have you ever wondered how Ash from Evil Dead would fare against a vampire? Or perhaps lay awake at night, unable to sleep as you considered just how a Predator would cope in a fight with a legendary bloodsucker? Well, rest assured. Horrormovies.ca will put your mind at rest once and for all with this article.
Like it or loathe it, found-footage horror is here to stay. The best you can hope for is to sort the gems from the ever-increasing pile of turds being produced. This article over at Fangoria should point you in the direction of a few that you may not have heard of.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey
Subscribe, Rate and Review on iTunes!
Want a free horror eBook?
Subscribe for the latest horror news and to find out about new This Is Horror products, podcasts, books, and all that good stuff ahead of the crowd. What have got to lose? I guess, nothing really, you could unsubscribe any time. I mean, technically you could just grab the free eBook and run. That'd be it. Easy. But don't do that. Stick around. You might like it here.