Welcome to Must Read Horror, where we search the internet for the best horror articles of the week so you don’t have to. Without further ado:
- Horror Most Profound: The Many Layers to Alfred Hitchcock’s Classic ‘The Birds’
- Fear of the Unknown: Ten Horror Titles That Almost Were!
- What Modern Horror Filmmakers Can Learn from “The Twilight Zone”
- Conan Versus the Cosmic Insignificance of Humanity: “The Challenge from Beyond”
- The Bloody, Retro Horror of ‘American Psycho’ Is Also Very 2016
For more articles like this, please follow @thisishorror on Twitter.
First Post looks at the many layers to Alfred Hitchcock’s 1963 avian thriller, The Birds, the film which ensured you never looked at a pigeon the same way again.
Lots of films don’t make it past the ideas stage, and for the most part that is a good thing. In this article, Blumhouse looks at ten horror films which might have been, should have been (probably not) and almost were.
Bloody Disgusting explains why Rod Serling’s classic series, The Twilight Zone, should be used as reference material for aspiring filmmakers.
Tor’s wonderful Lovecraft reread continues with a look at ‘The Challenge from Beyond’, a 1935 collaboration between Lovecraft, C.L. Moore, A Merritt, Robert Howard, and Frank Belknap Long.
In this article, The Daily Beast explains why the Broadway adaptation of Bret Easton Ellis’s controversial novel, American Psycho, is more pertinent now than ever before.
Support This Is Horror Podcast on Patreon
- For $1 you get early bird access to all our podcasts and can submit questions to guests.
- For $3 you get exclusive story craft episodes.
- For $4 you get the full interview, no two-parters.
The best way to support This Is Horror is via Patreon. How much will you pledge? Go on. Be awesome.
This Is Horror Books
This Is Horror Books on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon
- They Don’t Come Home Anymore by T.E. Grau
- A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman
- The Visible Filth by Nathan Ballingrud
- The Elvis Room by Stephen Graham Jones
- Water For Drowning by Ray Cluley
- Chalk by Pat Cadigan
- Roadkill by Joseph D’Lacey
Subscribe, Rate and Review on iTunes!
Want a free horror eBook?
Subscribe for the latest horror news and to find out about new This Is Horror products, podcasts, books, and all that good stuff ahead of the crowd.